- People are passionate and emotional about salmon
- Alaska still has lots of opportunities for salmon persistence if we don’t mess it up!
- Over 2 billion fish released in Alaska each year!
- Salmon are the ultimate ‘investors’ by spreading risk over life histories and stocks
- Integrated hatchery programs spawn fish using wild broodstock and therefore reduce the potential for domestication to evolve
- Jeff oversees the sport fish hatcheries and there is a separate PNP hatchery coordinator
- Ocean carrying capacity potentially being pushed to the limit by pink and chum salmon production
- Alaska is more nimble than other locales because ADFG has management authority and can alter stocking plans immediately if deemed necessary
- Currently there is limited monitoring to assess the on impacts of hatchery fish on wild populations in Alaska
493 Fish UX1 (200, 400, 600)