Summary of conversation with Aaron Dupuis

1. Assistant area manager for Upper Cook Inlet Management Area
  2. Area broken into a central and northern district (and then sub-districts), which has very different management objectives and regulations
  3. 736 active set gillnet permits (507 reported fishing in 2015), permit stacking allowed can fish twice the amount of gear
  4. 566 active drift gillnet permits (492 reported fishing in 2015). Two permits can be fished on one boat and extra gear can be fished. Max mesh size of 6 inches most use smaller to target sockeye
  5. Setnetters can choose to fish among 3 sub-districts but once they choose they can’t move among sub-districts; drift netters fish only in the central district
  6. Harvests of Chinook in the northern district has been very low in recent years (approximately less than 2000 fish per year) set to be restrictive given a complex mixed stock fishery
  7.  The recipe book for management of northern district is the ‘northern district salmon management plan’
  8. Kasilof River goals are for ‘optimal’ levels that take into account allocation issues among users
  9. Kenai River late-run sockeye plan shall manage primarily for commercial uses based on abundance while minimizing harvest of northern district coho, late run Chinook
  10. In 2011 Kenai modified counting methods. Primary targets are in-river escapement goals, but harvests from anglers and dipnet anglers come post season
  11. Estimate that dipnetters catch 1 in 3 sockeye entering system
  12. Management plan set up such that in times of low abundance the sport fish and comm fish both undergo restrictions
  13. Management objectives: meet escapement goals and follow the management plans regarding allocation implications
  14. Overarching question: how do you harvest abundant sockeye returns while conserving weaker stocks????

One thought on “Summary of conversation with Aaron Dupuis”

1. Thanks for putting this up Peter. If I had a trained seal to help me harvest Kenai salmon, I’d train him to distinguish between Chinook and sockeye. Seems like that’d help solve the mixed-species fishery problem. Yep, you’re all welcome.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *